Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Continuing Education

As educators we have all developed a love for life long learning and hope that we ignite  bit of that love in our own students...even if it's just one.  I love to read and learn, however when it comes to PD, I absolutely loathe attending these classes.  I get talked about quite a bit because last year at our Educators of Excellence conference (educators holding training for educators) I showed up with my knitting bag.  I was bored numb and hated every moment of being there.  So that leaves me in a bit of state writing this entry.  I can ramble on about how I will attend technology training, but the truth is I probably won't unless I am mandated to do it.  I think the best and most honest entry is I will continue to learn independently and be constant in my technology integration in my lessons.  I will fight with the math department for more lab time, continue to find new ways to use my presentation station, and I truly look forward to the Mimio pads we are to receive this fall. I pray the district was wise enough to buy enough programs with the Mimios to make them useful.  BTW, my principal and superintendent are EXTREMELY interested in the Inspiration software and I am planning to sit down with my CI to write a grant to the local education foundation for the monies to purchase the licensing.  Wish me luck!

I think honestly the best plan is for me, the individual, is to keep abreast of what is new in technology.  I started thinking about grant writing last year.   I want to write a grant to purchase computer stations for the ELA department or e-readers.  I think either of those would be awesome technological editions to our district.   I know that I have come across as a techie hater, but I'm not.  I just have reservations.   But through memberships with associations such as ASCD I can be kept abreast of what is new and exciting, learn more about technology integration, and receive webinars for the training I need without attending boring workshops.

Organizations that I belong to that help me achieve my goals are:

www.ascd.org
www.learner.org
www.pbs.org/teachers
http://eduscapes.com/tap/

These resources keep me abreast of the changing tides in education.  And then there is Mr. Padilla, our local techie, he is awesome for learning anything technological.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole
    Use your gift of writing to further your school, district but most importantly...the students! You will be doing what is right and needed at the same time! Technology is a tool and some have been fooled into thinking it is everything, when it is not. They will learn and the rest of us will do what we have done all along...teach our students! Cheers to you to keep working for them! That is why we do what we do, period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Mimio. We have a similar device (a MOBI) and I found that when I practiced, there were some helpful aspects. I often gave it to students to do the writing, pointing, which they thought was cool.

    I totally understand your tech apprehension, especially when our students struggle with basic reading and writing skills. I want to use technology that actually improves/help student learning, not simply tech for tech sake.

    ReplyDelete